• 17624 Visualizações

PereiraMarques

• Moderador Global
  • Recebeu: 1224 vez(es)
  • Enviou: 344 vez(es)
  • +5154/-235
Re: Portugal defence
« Responder #15 em: Julho 04, 2012, 01:35:46 pm »
EMGFA is the Armed Forces General Headquarters.

"Comandos-Chefes" are Ad Hoc Task Forces created for a particulary reason/intervention.

See also article 22nd.

Artigo 22.º

Atribuição e estrutura dos comandos-chefes

1 - Os comandos-chefes, quando constituídos, são órgãos na dependência do CEMGFA destinados a permitir a conduta de operações militares em estado de guerra e, nos termos da lei, dispondo os respectivos comandantes das competências, forças e meios que lhes forem outorgados por carta de comando.

2 - A estrutura e o quadro de pessoal de cada comando-chefe constarão do decreto-lei que o constituir.

"orgaos na dependencia do CEMGFA" can be translated as "entities under the dependency [or supervision/command] of the Armed Forces Headquarters Chief of Staff".

Most of transformations were related with personnel redution, rather then materiel redution, with bigger impacts in the Army, rather then Navy and Air Force.

A brief list of changes:

- Redution for around 44.000 personnel in the Army, 13.000 in the Navy and 10.000 in the Air Force (1989 figures) to around 24.500 personnel in the Army, 10.000 in the Navy and 7.500 in the Air Force (2004-2006 figures);

- Downsizing in many army units: for example there was an Infantry Regiment for nearly all provincies ("Distritos") and many (half?) were cut down. The 4 military regions in the mainland were reduced to 3 (and totally disbanded in 2006);

- The Air Force Paratroppers (Paraquedistas) and the Army Commandos (Comandos) were merged in the new Army Airborne (Aerotransportados) (in 2004 this situation was changed with the creation of a new Army Commandos unit and renaming the Aerotransportados back to Paraquedistas, although remaning in the Army and not returning to the Air Force);

- The Paraquedistas and the Comandos were joined by other army personnel (theoretically all with airborne training/capacity) in to the new BAI - Brigada Aerotransportada Independente (Independent Airborne Brigade) (in 2004-2006, this brigade was restructured and renamed BrigRR - Brigada de Reação Rápida (Rapid Reaction Brigade));

- The 1ª BMI - 1ª Brigada Mista Independente (First Independent Mixed Brigade) was reestrutured (with significant materiel increase in quality and quantity, benefiting from "hand-down" materiel available from CFE Treaty reductions [M-60A3 TTS MBT, more M-113 APC, Chaparral SAM, etc., etc.]), from a mixed (motorized and mechanized) unit to a fully mechanized unit and therefore renamed BMI - Brigada Mecanizada Independente (Mechanized Independent Brigade) (renamed BrigMec - Brigada Mecanizada (Mechanized Brigade) in 2006);

- The BFE - Brigada de Forças Especiais (Special Forces Brigade) was deeply transformed, from a "theoretical" military formation based around the Commandos Regiment with support units on mobilization, to a Light Infantry Brigade designated BLI - Brigada Ligeira de Intervenção (Intervention Light Brigade) (renamed BrigInt - Brigada de Intervenção (Intervention Brigade) in 2006 and "armoured" with the Pandur II APC on delivery);

- The Air Force lost Base Aérea n.º 3 (Air Base no. 3) and São Jacinto facilities to the Army (Paratroopers transference). The FIAT G91, T-37 "Tweety" and T-38 Talon were replaced by 40 Alpha Jet in two squadrons, one of Alouette III squadrons was disbanded and one of the A-7P Corsair II squadrons had its planes replaced by F-16;

- The Navy lost one of its Fuzileiros (Marines) Battalion and all of its minehunters. The 3 Vasco da Gama class frigates (MEKO 200 PN) and its 5 Super Lynx helicopters were introduced around 1992-1995;

- Conscript Military Service was reduced from 12 months to (a "ridiculous") 4 months tour of duty. Volunteer (1 year) and Contract (2 to 8 years) personnel increased their numbers (Conscription totally eliminated in 2004).

Basically these are all the major transformations I can recall around the 1990-1996 period.

Cabeça de Martelo

• Investigador
  • Recebeu: 2928 vez(es)
  • Enviou: 2200 vez(es)
  • +1226/-3447
« Responder #16 em: Julho 04, 2012, 02:09:40 pm »
Citação de: "PereiraMarques"
EMGFA is the Armed Forces General Headquarters.

"Comandos-Chefes" are Ad Hoc Task Forces created for an particulary reason/intervention.

See also article 22nd.

Artigo 22.º

Atribuição e estrutura dos comandos-chefes

1 - Os comandos-chefes, quando constituídos, são órgãos na dependência do CEMGFA destinados a permitir a conduta de operações militares em estado de guerra e, nos termos da lei, dispondo os respectivos comandantes das competências, forças e meios que lhes forem outorgados por carta de comando.

2 - A estrutura e o quadro de pessoal de cada comando-chefe constarão do decreto-lei que o constituir.

"orgaos na dependencia do CEMGFA" can be translated as "entities under the dependency [or supervision/command] of the Armed Forces Headquarters Chief of Staff".

Most of transformations were related with personnel redution, rather then materiel redution, with bigger impacts in the Army, rather then Navy and Air Force.

A brief list of changes:
- Redution for around 44.000 personnel in the Army, 13.000 in the Navy and 10.000 in the Air Force (1989 figures) to around 24.500 personnel in the Army, 10.000 in the Navy and 75.000 in the Air Force (2004-2006 figures);
- Downsizing in many army units: for example their was an Infantry Regiment for nearly all provincies ("Distritos") and many (half?) were cut down. The 4 military regions in the mainland were reduced to 3 (and totally disbanded in 2006);
- The Air Force Paratroppers (Paraquedistas) and the Army Commandos (Comandos) were merged in the new Army Airportables (Aerotransportados) (in 2004 this situation was changed with the creation of a new Army Commandos unit and renaming the Aerotransportados back to Paraquedistas, although remaning in the Army and not returning to the Air Force);- The Paraquedistas and the Comandos were joined by other army personnel (theoretically all with airborne trainning/capacity) in the new BAI - Brigada Aerotransportada Independente (Independent Airborne Brigade) (in 2004-2006, this brigade was restructured and renamed BrigRR - Brigada de Reação Rápida (Rapid Reaction Brigade);
- The 1ª BMI - 1ª Brigada Mista Independente (First Independent Mixed Brigade) was reestrutured (with significant materiel increase in quality and quantity, benefiting from "hand-down" materiel available from CFE Treaty reductions), from a mixed (motorized and mechanized) unit to a full mechanized unit;

[Write somemore latter]

:evil:  :evil:
7. Todos os animais são iguais mas alguns são mais iguais que os outros.

Donlef

• +0/-0
« Responder #17 em: Julho 05, 2012, 04:11:43 pm »
Thanks for the response! But Estado Maior is translated with 'Staff'. EMGFA stands for: Estado Maior General das Forcas Armadas. Isn't it then General Staff of the Armed Forces?

Donlef

• +0/-0
Re: Portugal Defence
« Responder #18 em: Agosto 10, 2012, 07:13:41 pm »
Hello all, could you explain to me what the following means?

"Os elementos da estructura do Execito relacionam-se hierquicamente pelos seguintes niveis de autoridade"

a) Autoridade hierarquica
b) Autoridade funcional
c) Autoridade tecnica

A Autoridade hierarquica é a correspondente ao exercicio do comando completo e verifica-se sem prejuizo de outras dependencias que sejam estabelecidas.

A Autoridade funcional é caracterizada pela natureza funcional do vinculo hierarquico entre o comando funcional e elementos subordinados responsaveis pela execucao de uma parte essencial ao cumprimento da sua missao e permite difundir normas e ordens e exercer competencia disciplinar.

A Autoridade tecnica é o tipo de autoridade que permite a um titular fixar e difundir normas de natureza especializada, sem que tal inclue competencia disciplinar.

Sorry for bad spelling, but this is in the Diario da republica 1993 I-Serie-A.

Is this typical for the Portuguese Army? The three levels? How should I interpret this? Thanks in advance!

gr. Donlef.

ps. I found this also: " O Conselho Superior do Exercito poderá agregar, sem direito a voto, outros oficiais habilitados para o tratamento
 dos assuntos em agenda, a convocar pelo CEME"

What does this mean? Thanks in advance!

PereiraMarques

• Moderador Global
  • +5154/-235
« Responder #19 em: Agosto 10, 2012, 10:50:06 pm »
Hierarchical Authority: "I am a General, you are a soldier".
Functional Authority: "I am a LtCol in charge of an Infantry Battalion, you are Captain in charge of an Engineer Company, I order you to clean up the mines".
Technical Authority: "I am a Medical Captain, you are Colonel which have been shot, I order you to stay in the hospital bed".

:mrgreen:

The Army Supreme Council (Conselho Superior do Exercito) can call up experts (other officers qualified for treating issues in agenda) for helping in specific cases. For example, the Army Supreme Council Generals are analysing an incident with an army helicopter, they know nothing about helicopters, they may call, to help them, for example, an officer which is a helicopter pilot and an officer which is a mechanical engineer.

Donlef

• +0/-0
« Responder #20 em: Agosto 13, 2012, 11:46:16 am »
@PereiraMArques, thanks for the explanation. The three levels of authority....aren't standard for other armies too? I think you can find these three levels of authority also in other armed forces isn't it?

Gr. Donlef.

ps. http://www.youblisher.com/p/402900-Procurement/ about the procurement: Portugal spended primarily in the maintainace, modernization, re-equipment and improvement of their armed forces. Portugal barely bought new things, except for some 5 new helicopters and light caliber rifles (LPM, 1993; pp.4590-4592). What is interesting, however, is not the expected cutting in investments or defence costs, but an actual increase of the defense spending. In 1993, the total defence spending was 21.910 thousand custos, while in 1994 it was 32.314 thousand custos and in 1995 31.941 thousand and in 1996 34.231 thousand custos. So there was an actual progressive trend in defence spending instead of a downturn. The total defence spending (and probably also the total budget) converted was for 1994: 32314 thousand contos (contos: 1000 escudo) so 32314 * 1000: 32314000 contos. 32314000 * 1000: 32314000000 escudos. 1000 escudos was about 5 euro. So 32314000000 / 1000: 32314000 * 5 euro: 161570000 euro. 161570000 / 1000000: 161,57 million euro. The same calculation can be done for 1995 and 1996: respectively 159,71 million euro and 171,16 million euro.

Is this analysis correct? It seems 171,16 million euro is a little meagre since the other countries probably had their defence budget in the billions....

PereiraMarques

• Moderador Global
  • +5154/-235
« Responder #21 em: Agosto 17, 2012, 09:47:59 am »
Hi PereiraMarques, do you know where I can find information about the Portuguese Army of 1995? I just need some information on the total military numbers, the Portuguese quality of the Army, what equipment and materiel Portugal had. I doesn't matter if these are Portuguese sources...Thanks in advance!

yours,

Donlef.

Amigos (nomeadamente os "cotas" que conhecem as quantidades e a datas de aquisição dos diferentes materiais, como por exemplo, o Duarte e o Papatango (os primos Mendonça)  :mrgreen:  ),

Será que conseguimos ajudar este senhor?

Obrigado

PereiraMarques

• Moderador Global
  • +5154/-235
« Responder #22 em: Agosto 18, 2012, 10:44:51 pm »
This message refers to the 2004/5 situation, but I believe it wasn't so different that those of 1995.

--> viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2048

Duarte

• Investigador
  • Recebeu: 144 vez(es)
  • Enviou: 424 vez(es)
  • +572/-320
слава Україна!

“Putin’s failing Ukraine invasion proves Russia is no superpower"

The Only Good Fascist Is a Dead Fascist

Duarte

• Investigador
  • +572/-320
« Responder #24 em: Agosto 19, 2012, 10:57:11 pm »
Hi PereiraMarques, do you know where I can find information about the Portuguese Army of 1995? I just need some information on the total military numbers, the Portuguese quality of the Army, what equipment and materiel Portugal had. I doesn't matter if these are Portuguese sources...Thanks in advance!

The 1993-97 Military Programming Law listed in my previous post should have the main forces listed for you during this period: Army: the Composite Brigade became fully mechanized during this period, the Independent Airborne Brigade was raised during this time also, based on units from the former Air Force paratrooper corps, and the Light Intervention Brigade, which superseded the Special Forces Brigade; plus the island garrisons in the Azores and Madeira; and the 3 territorial defense brigades, north, center and south.  The major subunits of these brigades are all listed in the appendix to the law, with their planned acquisitions. Let me know if you need help with the abbreviations used. The main air force and naval forces are also broadly listed. If you need more detailed info, let me know.
слава Україна!

Donlef

• +0/-0
« Responder #25 em: Agosto 20, 2012, 11:10:27 am »
Many thanks, many thanks to you all!!

gr. Donlef

Donlef

• +0/-0
« Responder #26 em: Agosto 24, 2012, 04:26:17 pm »
Btw, can I still use your translating service? :) Could tell me what kind of units the Portuguese Army had described in: http://www.youblisher.com/p/406502-LPM-1993-1997/ What kind of tanks did they have, did they expeditionary forces etc...I don't understand the abbreviations. Thanks in advance!

gr. Donlef

Duarte

• Investigador
  • +572/-320
« Responder #27 em: Agosto 24, 2012, 05:40:37 pm »
If you can list the abbreviations and parts you do not understand, I will gladly translate them for you. I don't have time to trranslate the entire thing, but will do my best to translate whatever you list here for me.

In essence, during this period the Army was made up of the First independent composite brigade (1a. Brigada Mista Independente), which during this period of the 1993 LPM became fully mechanized, Brigada Mecanizada Independente, BMI):

The BMI was composed of:
HQ and HQ company - QG and CCS
1 Tank Battn. (GCC) with M-48A5, replaced with M-60A3 during this time frame
1 (and later 2) Mech. Inf. Battn (BIMec) w/ M-113A1
2 Motorized Inf. Battn. (one was fully mechanized, the second disbanded during this period)
1 AAA bttry - BtrAAA
1 Cavalry Recn. Sqdn - EREC
1 Field Art. group (Self-propelled)  GAC with M-109A2/5
1 Eng Comp -CEng
1 Signals Comp. CTRMS
1 Service Support Battn - BAPSVC

the Independenet Airborne Brigade (BAI) was also raised during this period:
It was composed of:
3 Airborne Inf. Battn., 1 Anti-Tank Comp. 1 Cavalry Reconn. Squadron, 1 Field Art. Group, 1 Service Support Battn, 1 AAA bttry

and the Light Intervention Brigade., 2 Inf. Batt, 1 Cavalry Reconn. Squadron, 1 Field Art. Group, 1 AAA bttry 1 Service Support Battn.

These 3 brigades were the major operational units, plus there were three territorial defence brigades, raised from units in each of the military regions, North, Center, South. Each of these had 2 Inf. Battn., 1 Cavalry Reconn. Squadron, 1 Field Art. Group, 1 Service Support Detachment.

There were also the two Territorial Defence Groups of the Azores and Madeira with 1 or 2 Inf. Batt. each, 1 AAA Art. Battery, HQ and Support Detachment.

as well as corps level troops, like a medium artilliery group, Cavalry recnn. group, Engineer battn, Signals Battn, Transportation Comp., Medical battn. etc..
слава Україна!

Donlef

• +0/-0
« Responder #28 em: Agosto 30, 2012, 02:17:58 pm »
@Duarte, thanks you very much! I think I can continue with this information! Do you possibly also know what the total number of military in the Portuguese Army was? 20.000? 30.000?

Gr. Donlef

Duarte

• Investigador
  • +572/-320
« Responder #29 em: Agosto 30, 2012, 10:09:34 pm »
For 1993, 77.909 total military ranks, career, contract and conscripts for all three branches.

Source:
http://www.operacional.pt/efectivos-militares/
слава Україна!